[AWIPS #RGA-719047]: From a non-University entity: Clarifying question regarding need for EDEX and user "awips" to exist as requirements to use CAVE

Hi Pete,

To answer your questions:
1. If you would like to ingest your own data, you have to have
your own EDEX instance.  EDEX does more than just "manage" the data, it decodes
it, parses
it, and rewrites it into hdf5 files and database entries that CAVE uses to
access and
display data.
You can run CAVE and point to our online edex instance
(edex-cloud.unidata.ucar.edu), but
that will not allow you to access your own data.  It could be quite a
significant task to
get all your data and models into an edex server that can feed CAVE.
2. I assume you're talking about installing CAVE also on Linux, and in that
case, an awips
user does need to exist, but if you're installing CAVE from our
install_awips.sh file that
is on our website, then it should create the awips user and necessary user
group when it
installs.  If you're having trouble running CAVE then changing the permissions
on
/awips2/cave could be the solution, but I don't think that should be necessary.
 Are you
having trouble actually starting up CAVE?
Thanks.
--Shay Carter

Software Engineer II
UCAR - Unidata