[AWIPS #RAB-671867]: AWIPS II Installation in RHL

Wyatt,

  You should be able to install directly onto the Mac with a compatible
graphics card.

re:
>> You never did say if the AMD D500 was compatible.

  From the Unidata website
<http://unidata.github.io/awips2/install/install-cave/> anything based on
AMD looks suspect.  So my uneducated guess is that the D500 is also not
compatible (we aren't in a position to test out all possible graphics card
and platform combinations :-). The compatibility apparently has It has to
do with how faithfully it supports OpenGL. In my experience and across
multiple platforms, the only truly compatible card is based on Nvidia.

 There are different levels of problems you can see when using a
non-compatible graphics card:

   1. The opengl "engine" won't start correctly for CAVE (and so CAVE won't
   start).
   2. Certain wx products are not drawn correctly
   3. Certain wx products are not drawn at all
   4. Color bars (legends) are not draw or only partially

(Anyhow, in the short term, Shay and I may not have immediate answers
surrounding the Mac install; as all the relevant knowledge surrounding this
is no longer available.)

 Concerning the Linux VM solution:

   re:
  >> I've tried a CentOS environment and it seems extremely slow.

   In a Linux VM, you probably have to install something akin to VirtualGL
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualGL> and then use the
vglrun (graphics accelerator)
command to run CAVE.

* In order to see if your card is compatible*, before you run CAVE, run a
simple 3D graphics benchmark
<https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/linux-gpu-benchmark/> like glxgears.

$ # on Linux VM without gx accel

$  glxgears &

 (When running, the refresh rate in frames/sec should be visible on top of
the gears animation.)

 If it seems slow (like when you are inside a VM or Docker container) then
try using acceleration:

$ # on Linux VM without gx accel
$ vglrun glxgears &

 Hope this helps.