Re: New Client Reply - [AWIPS !GRI-490771]: CAVE 17.1.1-5 Installation problems

Thank you for attaching the log.  It looks like the package awips2.noarch was removed but not reinstalled/updated (below).  If you're using the development repo that would explain this single package not being updated, since it was last updated on the Unidata server yesterday and your local metadata would not match the package and then not install (if that's the case the command yum clean all will refresh all repo metadata and then be installing the latest build).

However, if you are point to the stable el7 release repo (/etc/yum.repos.d/awips2.repo uses baseurl=https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/repos/yum/awips2-el7/ rather than baseurl=https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/repos/yum/el7-dev/) then I am struggling to explain this one, and can only suggest refreshing metadata, marking the awips2-cave group, and trying to update again:

yum groups mark install awips2-cave
yum groups mark convert awips2-cave
yum groupinstall awips2-cave

----(from your log)---
Removed:
  awips2-cave.x86_64 0:17.1.1-2.el7.centos
  awips2-cave-wrapper.x86_64 0:17.1.1-2.el7.centos

Dependency Removed:
  awips2.noarch 0:17.1.1-1.el7.centos
...later...
Installed:
  awips2-cave.x86_64 0:17.1.1-5.el7.centos
  awips2-cave-wrapper.x86_64 0:17.1.1-5.el7.centos

Michael James
Unidata Program Center
Boulder, CO

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 9:02 AM, Bob Benites <address@hidden> wrote:
New Client Reply: CAVE 17.1.1-5 Installation problems

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 2:41 PM, Unidata AWIPS Support <
address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> I thought this was resolved, sorry for not following up further.
>
> I'm still not sure how best to manage RPM installation on RHEL 7.  On RHEL
> 6 the groupinstall and groupupdate commands are executed as expected, but
> RHEL 7 uses markings for packages and groups and sometimes updates do not
> happen as they do on RHEL 6.  The "yum groupinstall ..." command in
> *install.sh* is intended to update any installed packages, or install
> freshly if nothing is installed (so a "yum groupremove" step is not
> necessary, at least on RHEL 6, and I thought on RHEL 7 as well), as long as
> the metadata has been refreshed (which can be done manually with "yum clean
> all").
>
> So a forced manual reinstall for CAVE is the best solution right now:
>
> yum remove awips2-cave awips2-cave-wrapper
> yum clean all
> yum install awips2-cave awip2-cave-wrapper

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the followup. Since we are now only running CAVE and EDEX on
RHEL 7 systems, I'll adopt your upgrade instructions for all of our CAVE
workstations. I did, however, want to alert you to one thing. When I used
your commands on one of our RHEL 7 CAVE client systems, after I did the
install I ran a yum update and there were further updates installed. See
the abridged console log from the upgrade here:

   http://www.cs.unca.edu/~benites/detached/awips.log

Some of the versions installed are 17.1.1-4, is that correct?

Would a group{install/remove] be the appropriate upgrade path for our EDEX
server, say:

   yum groupremove awips2-server
   yum clean all
   yum groupinstall awips2-server

In the recent past it's been necessary to use the parameter
--disablerepo=epel on the groupinstall, I didn't know if the new version
has resolved those dependency issues.

Thanks...

-- Bob