[AWIPS #JZE-105128]: AWIPS EDEX Feed

> AT&T maintains a meteorology operations center that seeks to include AWIPS
> II in its suite of forecasting tools.  We've noticed that the public feed
> accessed by our Windows version of CAVE is slow, most likely due to load.
> In order for us to use AWIPS for operational decision making, it would be
> our preference to have a feed that would update products at a faster pace.
>
> Are there alternate EDEX feeds that we could use for our ingest?

Hi Chris,

I do not know of any public EDEX servers other than our own. The server
edex-cloud.unidata.ucar.edu is provisioned for use by education and research
organizations, and is not supported for any forecast operations, or for
businesses.   It sounds like what would work best for you is to install and run
your own EDEX server to which you would point CAVE, then you would have full
control of the data, and benefit from faster networking between server and
client.  The AWIPS EDEX and CAVE packages released by Unidata are open source
and public domain, so there is no restriction on their use by anyone, including
the private sector, but just know that Unidata can not offer support for such
use.

Michael James
Unidata Program Center
Boulder, CO