[AWIPS #HBY-805172]: VMware Horizon with NVIDIA GRID vGPU

> Good morning Michael,
>
> UNCA recently installed VMware Horizon 6 which supports NVIDIA GRID vGPU
> cards, here's some more information:
>

> http://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/horizon/vmware-nvidia-grid-vgpu-faq.pdf
>
> We plan to build a desktop which includes the CAVE Client (CC) to see if we
> could utilize the CC in a virtual desktop environment. We were curious if
> you all have had any reports of sites using such a setup?
>
> We don't know quite what to expect when the CC is run like this, but expect
> it could (probably might) be slower than running on a graphic workstation
> natively with a NVIDIA GPU. But as one of our ATMS professors who would
> like to use the CC in a classroom environment noted: this is a teaching
> situation and it's OK to be slower so the students can see what's going on.

You are the first site I've heard considering this, thanks for sharing. I am
interested to help however I can and think CAVE is a great candidate for
evaluating this tech.  What model are you considering and how many clients will
run?

> We currently have the CC running on a Dell Desktop running RHEL6. If you do
> have heard of sites using the Horizon 6 environment like we propose, are
> they using the Windows or CentOS version of the CC? Any suggestions on
> which might be better? I'm inclined to go with the Windows version of the
> CC as our Horizon Administrator is more familiar with Windows.

Start with the Windows client and see if it suits your needs. The Linux client
is updated more frequently, though.

Michael James
Unidata Program Center
Boulder, CO