[AWIPS #JHO-698798]: CAVE and EDEX updates

> I logged in to our EDEX and CAVE servers today and noticed there was a
> mod level upgrade of CAVE from 16.1.5-3 to 16.1.5-4 . I also found
> updates to two EDEX packages: awips2-common-base-16.1.5-4 and
> awips2-ldm-16.1.5.3-6.12.14 . I checked the awips2-users and gembud
> mailing list archives to see if either of these updates were announced
> there, they appear not to have been. The reason I checked those two
> lists was because the most recent version of AWIPS was announced there
> on 2 June 2016 . Here's the subject line forwarded to me for that
> announcement:
>
> [gembud] Unidata releases AWIPS 16.1.5
>
> Am I looking in the correct place?

Sometimes I do not make announcements on the mailing list or Unidata blog for
minor package updates. The LDM update is to turn off the LIGHTNING feed from
idd by default (to prevent .edu users from unknowingly making available USPLN
data to public connections.  For CAVE I believe the update was only for some
map and bundle design changes, possibly some GFE config update as well but I've
been pushing out new RPMs every now and then with minor changes (anything that
gets updated on that repo should be installed, it's been vetted for CentOS 6
system updates). For EDEX there were (or will be) new builds of Python 2.7.10
and Scientific.

> Regardless, I installed the update for awips2-ldm and was hoping it
> might correct a problem I have with the LDM implementation.
> Specifically, when I start EDEX
> ldm doesn't start. I must always start it manually with a:
>
> su - awips -c "ldmadmin start"
>
> after I do a "edex start".

Is this on flurry or another machine? I just logged on to flurry ran stop and
start for the ldm service (edex_ldm), and confirmed that "edex stop" and "edex
start" work (all of these commands should be run as root). If it's another
machine I would need to take a look.

-Michael

Ticket ID: JHO-698798
Department: Support AWIPS