[AWIPS #DQB-795724]: AWIPS II

> I'll be brief... I was looking for radar and radar software online and
> stumbled upon your link
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/awips2/#home
>
> I know nothing about programming and as such everything is foreign language
> to me. So...
>
> Is it possible for me, a weather hobbyist, to download this from your
> website and have access to cool radar images, weather maps and the like?

Hello Steven,

AWIPS II is operational forecasting software for use by the NWS, and Unidata is
providing a slimmed-down version for universities and research organizations.
The installation and use of AWIPS II is not trivial, you will need access to a
backend data server, and install the client on 64bit CentOS linux, so I would
not recommend it for a casual weather hobbyist who only wants to display radar
data.  For that there are a number of websites developed by folks using Unidata
software, such as http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/

Michael James
Unidata

Ticket ID: DQB-795724