[AWIPS #JLL-826110]: last steps to get awips II to work

Hello Jens,

Very happy to hear that OSU is using AWIPS II.  I'm here to help with whatever
you need.

> We have successfully gotten to the last step in your install guide, but when
> we run the
>
> /awips2/cave/cave.sh &
>
> command the process seems to start but then disappears, the command line
> never comes back only Ctrl+C gets it to return.
> How do we proceed with troubleshooting that? we never get the connectivity
> preferences box or the AWIPS II logo?
> Which log to check etc. where could the problem be?

The first place to check is ~/caveData/logs/consoleLogs/edex/ for a file named
"cave_YYYYMMDD_.._pid_.._console.log"

This is a text log that should provide insight into why CAVE will not load.

> Do we need to be registered with you to access the data etc. ?
> We seem to be getting data over the network when we check the Qpid
> connections  and ingest logs.
>
> [root@BigMac Desktop]# qpid-stat -q -S msg -L 3
> Queues
> queue              dur  excl  msg   msgIn  msgOut  bytes  bytesIn  bytesOut
> cons  bind
> =========================================================================================
> Ingest.GribDecode  Y            81   103k   102k   22.1k  29.4m    29.4m
>   0     2
> Ingest.GribSplit   Y             1   103k   103k     82   9.73m    9.73m
>   0     2
> external.dropbox   Y             1   253k   253k     82   20.2m    20.2m
>   0     2

Yes it looks like EDEX is receiving and processing data correctly.  You do not
need to be registered with Unidata to pull data from the IDD if you are
connecting from a .edu domain, it looks like data flow is working for you.

> If we need to be signed up for the AWIPS II Beta test program please proceed
> to get us signed up.

To clarify term, the Unidata 14.2.1 release is our beta, and any University
installation becomes a beta test member, so consider yourself added and welcome
to the AWIPS II .edu community.  We have a mailing list at address@hidden, I
will add you to the list if you just say the word.

Michael James
Unidata Program Center
Boulder, CO

Ticket ID: JLL-826110