[AWIPS #KGF-869770]: Fwd: [gembud] Unidata AWIPS II 14.2.1 status update

Hi Mark,

Thank you for contacting us about the beta program.

I will be releasing the EDEX data server and the CAVE client as two separate
packages for the beta.  While your 8 GB machine meets the specs for a CAVE
workstation, that amount of memory is too low for EDEX, as the server will be
running two JVMs at about 2 GB of memory each, plus PostgreSQL and the Qpid
message broker.

It may be that Unidata offers a remote EDEX server for our beta testers to
connect to, which would allow you to install the CAVE client without installing
the resource-heavy EDEX data server.  Don't hold me to that, there's still a
lot of work to do. I'll know more about this in the next few weeks after we
test multiple remote connections.

-Michael James
Unidata

> Hi,
> The School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences at Stony Brook University
> would like to be considered as a test site for the AWIPS II deployment.  We
> have a meteorology lab containing 12 Dell Optiplex 9010s with a Core i7 CPU
> and 8 GB RAM running CentOS 6 that are used to teach our ATM students.
>
> Please let us know if you require any additional information.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mark Lang
> School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences <http://somas.stonybrook.edu>
> Stony Brook University