[AWIPS #EAG-348630]: AWIPS II server requirements

Hi Jesse,

Your server will be able to run a standalone AWIPS II EDEX data server (which
includes the LDM), but I think any more than that (McIDAS, IDV, GEMPAK) would
be too much of a resource load for this machine.  Best to isolate EDEX/LDM on a
dedicated machine and install CAVE clients on separate user workstations - that
is where GEMPAK, IDV and McIDAS can (may? :) co-exist well with CAVE, but
definitely not on the server.

Hope this answers your question.

Best,

Michael James
Unidata

> Unidata Support,
>
> I am inquiring about Calu's SHU server which was setup by Ryan Usher and
> Unidata staff (Tom Yoksas was the contact). Our meteorology department
> is planning to rebuild their lab and run McIDAS, IDV, GEMPAK and AWIPS
> II software. Would the SHU server be able to meet the requirements to
> run all of these programs?
>
> SHU specs:
> CPU:    Dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5450  @ 3.00GHz
> RAM:    32GB
> HDD:    1.4TB
> OS:     CentOS release 6.4
> Kernel: 2.6.32-358.6.2.el6.x86_64
>
> Please let me know if you need anymore information or have any questions.
>
> Thanks,
> Jesse Bailey
>
> Information Technology Technician
> University Technology Services