[AWIPS #FAA-898361]: AWIPS 2

> Hello.......

Hi Ike,

> I am anticipating the release of AWIPS 2 to the public sometime in
> April, 2014.

It is publicly available now at:

https://collaborate2.nws.noaa.gov/partners/

 I am very excited about this, but have a couple questions that
> are quite important to me. I have tried e-mailing, twice, the Unidata AWIPS
> Support page and have gotten no response.

We do not have the answers to some of the questions you ask :)

 Maybe my questions were too
> non-technical. I know how to use AWIPS. I am, by no means, a computer
> programmer. I just need a couple answers before I shell out $1700 for a
> Linux Redhat box that meets AWIPS system requirements.
>
> 1. Will I have to have my own server, or will some other entity provide
> one. If so, who might these other entities be. An HTML or an .edu?

We do not KNOW if anybody will open up a server, assume you will need your own.

> Will it be as simple as logging on to a website and selecting desired
> AWIPS data just like one might do with RAMSDIS or the SPC, providing
> my box meets system requirements?

This has yet to be determined, we make no guarantees for remote server access,
again, assume you will
be using your own server...this may change, but we do not know that for sure.

> 2. How user/public friendly do you anticipate the process being. That is,
> getting AWIPS onto a home computer?

It is not a trivial process, orders of magnitude more complex than N-AWIPS or
AWIPS.

> Thank You
>
> Ike Hietala

Sorry to be vague, but this project still has work to be done that we do not
control.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff Weber