[AWIPS #YCM-181819]: AWIPS2

Hi Isaac,

Unidata is still determining if having an open data server is feasible.  It's a
difficult thing to test because the AWIPS II installations at NWS offices are
full internal.  The data which is ingested into the AWIPS II Data Server comes
through the LDM from the IDD, which is distributed to any .edu but restricted
for .com, so I imagine our policy of remotely accessing UCAR-hosted data
servers would be similar.

Michael

> Mr.James........
>
> Thank you for your response.I am still a little unsure about one
> thing..... will i be able to access a central/outside server or will I have
> to have my own? I am very excited about the AWIPS2 release and just want to
> get all my facts straight.Thank you, again, for your time.    Isaac
>

> address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hello Isaac,
> >
> > You are correct, when AWIPS II is release to the public by Unidata, any
> > individual or organization will be able to download and install it and the
> > source code will be open source.
> >
> > There will be very strict system requirements for the 14.1.1 release,
> > which will have RHEL6 support and *possibly* support for 64-bit EDEX server.
> >
> > Michael James
> > Unidata Program Center
> >
> > > Hello............  When AWIPS2 is released next year,will anyone who
> > > meets system requirements be able to use it? Will I have to have my own
> > > server, or will there be access to a central/outside server?  Thanks.
> > > Isaac
> > >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: YCM-181819
> > Department: Support AWIPS