9.1 Layers and layers of libraries
Knowing how netCDF APIs are layered is sometimes useful for
understanding debugging, performance, and error handling.
The netCDF C-based libraries depend on a core C library and some externally developed libraries.
- NetCDF-Java is an independent implementation, not shown here
- C-based 3rd-party netCDF APIs for other languages include
Python, Ruby, Perl, Fortran-2003, MATLAB, IDL, and R
- Libraries that don't support netCDF-4 include Perl and old
- 3rd party libraries are optional (HDF5, HDF4, zlib, szlib, pnetcdf, libcurl), depending
on what features are needed and how netCDF is configured
- "Apps" in the above means applications, not mobile apps!