14.0 What is Chunking?
Chunked data are written in chunks of user-defined size.
- A chunk is a hyper-rectangle of any shape. When a dataset is
chunked, each chunk is read or written as a single I/O operation,
and individually passed from stage to stage of the pipeline and
- Contiguous layout is the default for fixed sized variables without
compression or other filters.
- Chunking is required for any variable that uses one or more
unlimited dimensions, compression or other filter.
- Chunking is set when the variable is created, and is never changed
after that. To change the chunksize you have to copy the data into a
- Chunking is transparent to the reader.