NetCDF 4.2-rc2 Release Notes
release candidate for the netCDF C libraries contains bug fixes and
Users of OPeNDAP note: If you are using the
netCDF DAP interface and your URLs contain constraints, then you are
especially urged to test out this release. It includes major changes
to the way that the OPeNDAP code handles constraints. External testers
are needed to help remove any remaining bugs in this code.
NetCDF 4.2-rc2, released 2012-03-02:
Fixed nccopy bug copying a netCDF-4 file with a chunksize for an unlimited dimension that is larger than the associated dimension size.
Fixed nccopy bug when rechunking a netCDF-4 file with a chunkspec option that doesn't explicitly specify all dimensions.
Fixed bug in netCDF-4 files with non-coordinate variable with the same name as a dimension.
Incorporated Wei Huang's fix for bug where netCDF-4 sometimes skips over too many values before adding fill values to an in-memory buffer.
Fixed ncgen bug with netCDF-4 variable-length constants.
Incorporated Peter Cao's performance fixes using HDF5 link iterator for any group with many variables or types.
Fix bug with scalar coordinate variables in netCDF-4 files, causing failure with --enable-extra-tests
Fix turning off fill values in HDF5 layers when NOFILL mode is set in netCDF-4 API (thanks to Karen Schuchardt).
NetCDF 4.2-rc1, released 2011-12-31:
- Completely rebuilt the DAP constraint handling. This primarily affects users who specify a DAP constraint as part of their URL.
- Fixed problem when a URL is provided that contains only a host name.
- Properly convert vara start/count parameters to DAP
- Fixed major wasted space from previous default variable chunk sizes algorithm.
- Most documentation migrated to Doxygen.
- Fixed problem with 64-bit offset format where writing more than 2**31 records resulted in erroneous NC_EINVALCOORDS error.
- Fixed various '#include' bugs.
- v2 API functions modified to properly call the external API instead of directly calling the netCDF-3 functions.
- Cleaned up the definition and use of nulldup.
- Restored original functionality of ncgen so that a call with no flags, only does the syntax check.
- ncdump now reports correct error message when "-x" option specifying NcML output is used on netCDF-4 enhanced model input.
Incorporated Constantine Khroulev's bug fix for invalid usage of MPI_Comm_f2c in nc_create_par.
- Fix bug causing infinite loop in ncdump -c of netCDF-4 file with subgroup with variables using inherited dimensions
- Modified ncdump to properly output various new types (ubyte, ushort, uint, int64, and uint64).
- Corrected miscellaneous test bugs.
- Fixed incorrect link flag for szip in configure.ac
- In ncdump, added -g option to support selection of groups for which data is displayed.
- ncdump -t now properly parses ISO "T" separator in date-time strings.
- ncdump -t functionality now available for attributes and bounds variables.
- ncdump now properly displays values of attributes of type NC_USHORT as signed shorts.
- Improve use of chunk cache in nccopy utility, making it practical for rechunking large files.
- Separate the Fortran and C++ libraries and release the C library and ncdump/ncgen/nccopy without Fortran or C++.
- Now supports bluefire platform.
- Rename some code files so that there are no duplicate filenames.
- Demonstration of netCDF-4 Performance Improvement with KNMI data.
- Fix so classic model netCDF-4 files allow larger sizes than 64-bit offset classic files.
The 4.2-rc2 release source code is available from the following URL.
Build it according to these instructions:
Report problems to the support email address:
Last modified: Fri Mar 2 06:39:30 MST 2012