[UDUNITS #AKI-804770]: Support for 'ppv' unit

Sander,

Sorry for taking to long to respond. I let my distaste for uncommon, discipline-
specific units for which there are valid discipline-independent alternatives get
the better of me -- which is unfair to you.

Yes, the UDUNITS package is being maintained and your suggestion will be
incorporated in the next release. In the meantime, you can add it to the
installed file "$prefix/share/udunits/udunits2-common.xml".

> Dear udunits maintainers,
>
> Would it be possible to have 'ppv' as supported unit added to the
> udunits2 xml files?
>
> In udunits2-common.xml there is already support for
> ppm/ppmv/ppb/ppbv/etc., which is really helpful.  However, in atmospheric
> science, the volume mixing ratio is sometimes also provided as a plain
> fraction which is then denoted as 'ppv'.  It would be really helpful if
> this unit representation could be support by udunits out-of-the-box.
> For this unit there is then only a 'per volume' version (a 'pp' does
> not make sense).
>
> A proposed entry for this would be:
>
> <unit>
> <comment>Constant</comment>
> <def>1</def>
> <aliases>
> <symbol>ppv</symbol>
> </aliases>
> <definition>parts per volume</definition>
> </unit>

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: AKI-804770