[UDUNITS #UZT-812263]: building on AIX

Mark,

The UDUNITS package just uses what the GNU automake, autoconf, and libtools
packages provide. You might check the websites for those packages to see if
they have any advice regarding AIX.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to an AIX system.

I don't recall any advice on the subject. If I had an AIX system, I'd probably
play around with which compiler I used, which linker, and their options.
Hopefully, this would allow the autoconf-generated configure script to do the
right thing.

> Hello Unidata
>
> We are looking to provide udunits2 on AIX 5 using the xlc compiler
>
> the library will build but we are not able to build it shared
>
> configure returns

> configure: creating libtool
> appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
> checking whether the xlc_r linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries...
> no
> checking for xlc_r option to produce PIC...
> checking if xlc_r static flag  works... yes
> checking if xlc_r supports -c -o file.o... yes
> checking whether the xlc_r linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries...
> no
> checking dynamic linker characteristics... no
>
> I have looked through the configure and there are some mentions of aix
> and xlc and mentions of concerns with building shared on aix with gcc
> in the comments
>
> Do you know of people who are using udunits with AIX and XLC?
>
> Do you know how we can build udunits as a shared library?
>
> We have code which interfaces to the libudunits.so which we can't use
> if we cannot build it
>
> many thanks
> mark

Regards,