[UDUNITS #MGE-245661]: perl-package for udunits2? debian packages?

Heiko,

> I've been using the perl-package of udunits for a while now. Have you
> heard about somebody starting a perl-package of udunits2? Since udunits
> is now deprecated, I will need to find a replacement in the long run.

I know that Debian is working on a UDUNITS-2 package as part of their
scientific and engineering group of packages.  I don't know how far along they
are.  See <http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/udunits_2.1.7-1.html>.  You might
also contact the Debian science co-ordinator, Alastair McKinstry
<address@hidden>.

> Are you going to create a binary distribution, i.e. debian package?

No.  We've discussed this and concluded that the cost of creating binary
packages for all the platforms that we support outweighs the benefits.

> When are you going to stop support for the old udunits?

Probably in 7 years, when I retire.  ;-)

> Best regards,
>
> Heiko
>
> --
> Dr. Heiko Klein                              Tel. + 47 22 96 32 58
> Development Section / IT Department          Fax. + 47 22 69 63 55
> Norwegian Meteorological Institute           http://www.met.no
> P.O. Box 43 Blindern  0313 Oslo NORWAY

Regards,
Steve Emmerson