[UDUNITS #ENF-483170]: python/php module; udunits2-common.xml; ioos dif standard units of measure

Rob,

> Should I email you straight on or send items to the support address?

Keep replying to the same address.  I'll start a new thread if and when
I learn how.

> Still breaking down the elements of the schema.
>
> I was hoping to write a script to pull out all the root records from the
> UDUNITS2 database and link them up with the aliases that would be
> pertinent to the data currently being requested from us and with
> information available from NDBC and COOPS.

I'm wondering if XSLT could help.

> <gml:definitionMember >
> <gml:UnitDefinition gml:id="psu">
> <gml:description>Conventional practical salinity
> units.</gml:description>
> <gml:identifier
> codeSpace="http://ndg.nerc.ac.uk/units";>practical_salinity_units</gml:identifier>
> <gml:name>practical salinity units</gml:name>
> <gml:quantityType>sea water salinity</gml:quantityType>
> <gml:catalogSymbol
> codeSpace="http://ndg.nerc.ac.uk/units";>psu</gml:catalogSymbol>
> </gml:UnitDefinition>
> </gml:definitionMember>
>
> Does Unidata have a codeSpace for Udunits?

What's a "codeSpace"?  Do you have a URL?

> This is the definition for Celsius in udunits2-common.xml:
>
> <unit>
> <def>degree_Celsius</def>
> <aliases>
> <symbol>&#x2103;</symbol>       <!-- DEGREE CELSIUS -->
> <name>
> <singular>degree_C</singular>
> <plural>degrees_C</plural>
> </name>
> <name>
> <singular>degreeC</singular>
> <plural>degreesC</plural>
> </name>
> <name>
> <singular>deg_C</singular>
> <plural>degs_C</plural>
> </name>
> <name>
> <singular>degC</singular>
> <plural>degsC</plural>
> </name>
> </aliases>
> </unit>
>
> A proposed definitionMember record might be:
>
> <gml:definitionMember >
> <gml:UnitDefinition gml:id="degree_Celsius">
> <gml:description>degrees Celsius</gml:description>
> <gml:identifier
> codeSpace="http://www.unidata....";>degree_Celsius</gml:identifier>
> <gml:name>degree_C</gml:name>
> <gml:name>degrees_C</gml:name>
> ... many aliases ...
> <gml:quantityType>?</gml:quantityType>
> <gml:catalogSymbol
> codeSpace="http://www.unidata....";>&#x2103;</gml:catalogSymbol>
> </gml:UnitDefinition>
> </gml:definitionMember>
>
> I think the <gml:names> are where all the aliases can be listed.  Not
> sure what quantityType is about... need to look that up again.
>
> I am grasping at straws here and there.
>
> What I am trying to head off is the currently ambiguous definition of
> Celsius in the NDBC SOS service:
>
> http://sdf.ndbc.noaa.gov/sos/server.php?request=GetObservation&service=SOS&offering=urn:x-noaa:def:station:noaa.nws.ndbc::41012&observedproperty=watertemperature&responseformat=text/xml;schema=%22ioos/0.6.1%22
>
> The data line that will eventually validate against that schema will be:
>
> <ioos:Quantity name="WaterTemperature" uom="C">23.70</ioos:Quantity>
>
> You have: C
> You want: degF
> /usr/local/udunits/bin/udunits: Units are incompatible

Yeah, I see what you mean.  "C" isn't all that ambiguous: it's the
internationally recognized symbol for coulombs.

> So, what I think will happen is I can put together a proposed file of
> unitsOfMeasureDictionary.xml and forward that to the support email for
> review?  If it seems ok, I can then propose it back to Jeff DLB to update
> the standard.

Sounds good.

> Rob
> --