[Support #YKO-681275]: udunits

Adam,

> I am having trouble installing UD units. I used the environment variables as
> provided in INSTALL for the linux system (commands in C below).
> I don't know how to get past the error seen at the end of make. Thanks for
> your help. Adam'

I didn't see any obvious errors, but the "make.log" file didn't show how
the files were compiled -- probably because of a previous "make" command.

Would you please go to the top-level source-directory of the UDUNITS
package and execute the command "make clean" and "make".  Trap the
standard output and standard error streams of the "make" command and send
it to me.  Thanks.

Alternatively, the "make.log" file did have an error message suggesting
the use of the "-fPIC" option.  You could try doing a "make distclean"
and starting over after adding that option to the CFLAGS environment
variable.  I suggest trying this first.  If it doesn't work, then send
me the new "make.log" file.

> Diagnostics:
> A.
> [adamwolf@biosphere src]$ uname -a
> Linux biosphere.Stanford.EDU 2.6.18-8.1.8.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jul 12 15:15:31 EDT
> 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> B.
> [adamwolf@biosphere src]$ pwd
> /home/adamwolf/bin/udunits-1.12.4/src
>
> C.
> [adamwolf@biosphere src]$ CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran' CC=/usr/bin/gcc
> CFLAGS='-O -fno-builtin' PERL=/usr/bin/perl ./configure > configure.log 2>&1
> configure.log attached
>
> D. config.log Attached
> E.
> [adamwolf@biosphere src]$ which gcc