20050328: UDUNITS installation

Neil,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Neil Gordon <address@hidden>
> Subject: udunits installation

>    I am having difficulty installing the udunits-1.11.7 package on a linux
> machine.

Be advised that the latest UDUNITS release is version 1.12.4.  It's
available at

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/udunits/udunits-1.12.4.tar.Z

> There are no errors in the configure process but I do get an
> error when I type the make command.  I tried adding the following
> environment variables, but got the same error:
>
> setenv CC /usr/bin/gcc
> setenv CPPFLAGS -DNDEBUG-Df2cFortran
> CFLAGS -O
> FC /usr/bin/g77
> FFLAGS -O-Wuninitialized-fno-automatic

The values for the CPPFLAGS and FFLAGS variables are missing spaces in
the above.

The environment variables must be set before the configure(1) script is
executed.

Please try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Execute the following commands:

            make distclean
            rm -f config.cache.
            setenv CC /usr/bin/gcc
            setenv CPPFLAGS "-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran"
            setenv CFLAGS -O
            setenv FC /usr/bin/g77
            setenv FFLAGS "-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic"

        Note the use of quotation-marks in setting the environment
        variables..

    4.  Perform steps 6 and 9 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.

Please let me know if this helps.

[snip]

Regards,