20041021: installing UDUNITS on Linux 2.4.18

Sean,

> To: <address@hidden>
> From: =?big5?B?taO4zrW+?= <address@hidden>
> Subject: some problem about install UDUNITS....

> Our server is Linux 7.3, and use kernel 2.4.18-3=A1K
>
> Can we install the UDUNITS package in our system?

Yes.

> We use the Version 1.12.2 of the UDUNITS package no our system, but it =
> seems
> to be some problem.
>
> First, I use =A1=A5./configure=A1=A6 to create a Makefile.
>
> Second, I use =A1=A5make install=A1=A6 to install UDUNITS.

You should have executed the command "make" before the command "make
install".

> But, some error message:
> making `install' in directory /usr/local/udunits/src/lib
>
> =20
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/udunits/src/lib'
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/udunits/src/lib'
>
> cc -c -O -I../port/misc -I../port/cfortran
> -DUT_DEFAULT_PATH=3D'"/usr/local/udunits/etc/udunits.dat"'  utlib.c
>
> In file included from utlib.c:29:
>
> ../port/cfortran/cfortran.h:132:3: #error "cfortran.h:  Can't find your
> environment among:    - MIPS cc and f77 2.0. (e.g. Silicon Graphics,
> DECstations, ...)         - IBM AIX XL C and FORTRAN Compiler/6000 =
> Version
> 01.01.0000.0000         - VAX   VMS CC 3.1 and FORTRAN 5.4.
> - Alpha VMS DEC C 1.3 and DEC FORTRAN 6.0.                               =
> -
> Alpha OSF DEC C and DEC Fortran for OSF/1 AXP Version 1.2              -
> Apollo DomainOS 10.2 (sys5.3) with f77 10.7 and cc 6.7.                -
> CRAY                                                                   - =
> NEC
> SX-4 SUPER-UX                                                      - =
> CONVEX
> - Sun                                                                    =
> -
> PowerStation Fortran with Visual C++                                   -
> HP9000s300/s700/s800 Latest test with: HP-UX A.08.07 A 9000/730        -
> LynxOS: cc or gcc with f2c.                                            -
> VAXUltrix: vcc,cc or gcc with f2c. gcc or cc with f77.                 -
> f77 with vcc works; but missing link magic for f77 I/O.     -            =
> NO
> fort. None of gcc, cc or vcc generate required names.    - f2c    : Use
> #define    f2cFortran, or cc -Df2cFortran                 - NAG f90: Use
> #define NAGf90Fortran, or cc -DNAGf90Fortran              - Absoft UNIX =
> F77:
> Use #define AbsoftUNIXFortran or cc -DAbsoftUNIXFortran     - Absoft Pro
> Fortran: Use #define AbsoftProFortran     - Portland Group Fortran: Use
> #define pgiFortran"

You need to tell the C compiler what Fortran calling-conventions to
use when compiling the Fortran interface by defining a certain C macro
before executing the configure script.  If you do not need a Fortran
interface, then you should define the "generic" macro "f2cFortran";
otherwise, you should look at the examples in the file INSTALL in the
top-level source directory to see what macro to define.

Please try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source-directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.

    3.  Ensure that the Fortran-defining C macro is defined, e.g.,

            export CPPFLAGS='-Df2cFortran -UNDEBUG'

        or

            setenv CPPFLAGS '-Df2cFortran -UNDEBUG'

        depending on your user-shell and whether or not you need a
        Fortran interface.

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson