20040806: udunits Configure error (cont.)

>From: "Zewdu.Tessema-2" <address@hidden>

Hi Zewdu,

>Thank! I did that by setting ac_default_prefix=/home/zewdu.

Super.

>That created the binaries ... in my home directory. At the end of the
>installation,however, I got error messages. Should I forget those error
>messages? I have appended the last few lines of the error output
>(make install):

>`/home/zewdu/udunits-1.11.7/src/udunits'
>returning to directory /home/zewdu/udunits-1.11.7/src
>making `install' in directory /home/zewdu/udunits-1.11.7/src/perl
>make[1]: Entering directory `/home/zewdu/udunits-1.11.7/src/perl'
>Warning: You do not have permissions to install into /usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_p
> erl/5.6.0/aix at /usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.6.0/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 62.
>mkdir /usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.6.0/aix/auto/UDUNITS: The file access per
> missions do not allow the specified action. at /usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.6.0/ExtUt
> ils/Install.pm line 112
>make[1]: *** [pure_site_install] Error 255
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/zewdu/udunits-1.11.7/src/perl'
>make: *** [perl/install] Error 1
>*****************

I looked through the 'make install' process for the src/perl stuff, and
I don't see a way of changing where the Perl stuff will be installed.
Please remember, however, that since I am not the person who supports
UDINITS, I might not be understanding what I am looking at enough to
figure out what needs to be done.

Questions:

- is it imperative that the 'install' step be done (this may
   be obvious to users of the package)

- are you going to be using the Perl interface to UDUNITS

If you are not going to be using the Perl interface, then I suspect
that you can safely ignore the error above.

>From address@hidden  Fri Aug  6 15:53:30 2004

Hi Tom,

It appears that the errors are not important. I just used the programs and I
saw no warning messages.

Thanks again.
Zewdu