20040805: udunits Configure error

>From: "Zewdu.Tessema-2" <address@hidden>

Hi Zewdu,

> I ran the defualt configure to install the udunits but it gave me the followi
> ng error messages and stopped.

>checking for a BSD compatible install... /opt/freeware/bin/install -c
>checking whether build environment is sane... yes
>checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
>configure: error: source directory already configured; run make distclean ther
> e first

This must have been the second time you ran configure since 'config.cache'
only exist after it has been created by configure.

>There is no text in the config.cache.

OK, this indicates that the previous configure run did not complete.

>I did run 'make distclean' under the main directory where I untarred the
>undunits ( '~/udunits-1.11.7') but I got the following message "make*** No
>rule to make target 'distclean'***.

This indicates that there is no Makefile in the directory, so 'make' does
not know what to do.

>I repeatedly deleted the old and
>untarred afress but that didn't help.

Are you saying that you removed the entire UDUNITS directory tree and
then recreated it by untarring the distribution file?  This would
indicate that the distribution incorrectly has a blank 'config.cache'
in it.  If this really is the case, we will need to cut a new
distribution (but no other user has complained about this). I don't
believe that this is the case, however, since I just unpacked the
latest UDUNITS distribution on our FTP site and see no 'config.cache'
file in it anywhere.

In the meantime, the easiest thing for you to do is:

1) completely remove the UDUNITS directory tree from your directory

2) untar the distribution again

3) remove the blank 'config.cache' in the src directory if it still
   exists

4) run configure from the src directory again

>Could you please help me? I wand the udunits to be ins
>talled under my home directory ( not in /usr/...).

UDUNITS can be installed anywhere, so the problem you are seeing should
not be related to where you are trying to build the package.

One question:  is the distribution you are using one you FTPed from us
(anonymous FTP from ftp.unidata.ucar.edu; distribution is in the
pub/udunits directory), or did you get the tar file from an existing
installation?  If the answer is that the tar file you are using is not
one from our site, it is likely that someone tarred up a directory tree
that contained a blank 'config.cache' in the src directory.

>Thanks a lot!

No worries.

Tom Yoksas