20040510: Question on ucar.units package: getting scale factor

Rashad,

>Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 14:04:34 -0400
>From: "El-Badrawi,Rashad" <address@hidden>
>To: "Steve Emmerson" <address@hidden>
>Subject: RE: 20040510: Question on ucar.units package: getting scale factor

> Thanks a lot for your reply. Can you give me an example of what you
> suggested, because it seems a little abstract to me.

Here's an example:

    utUnit      unit = utScan("millimoles per meter^3);
    double      amountOfUnit = ...
    utUnit      stdUnit = utScan("micromoles per liter");
    double      scale, offset;

    utConvert(unit, stdUnit, &scale, &offset);

    printf("The concentration is %g micromoles per liter\n",
        amountOfUnit*scale);

I've omitted any tests for errors or unit compatibility.

The idea is that, if you have a canonical unit (to which everything
should be related) then you can convert all values to that unit in order
to display them.

>       Regards,
>       Rashad

Regards,