20030618: UDUNITS install under SunOS 5.8

Alessio,

>Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:07:35 +0200
>From: Alessio Bellucci <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>,
>To: address@hidden,
>To: alessandri <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20030610: UDUNITS install under SunOS 5.8

> sorry for replying to your email  only now.
> I was hoping to fix everything myself but I didn't manage.So here I am...
> You will find attached to this email the log file which is produced when
> I do
>
>      setenv CC gcc
>    ( ./configure && make all install clean) > & ! log
>
> I also tried without using gcc, but things were definitely worse ( I can
> give you details if you like).
> The problem seems to reside in the Perl extension.
>  I  changed the -KPIC option to -fPIC but the bulk of the problem remains.
>  The" -xO3 -xdepend" options  are not recognized. In the README file is
> specified that Perl and udunits should be compiled using the same
> options. Unfortunately, our system manager installed a compiled Perl
> distribution, so I cannot reconstruct the compiling options used for Perl.
>  One more consideration : I am trying to compile UDUNITS in my local
> directory. Could this be a source of problem?

No.

> Would I get the same error
> messages if I were trying to do the same as ROOT (problems with
> permissions ?).

Your problems are unrelated to permissions.

> We were also thinking to update gcc to a newer version. Do you think it
> would  help?
>
> The standard output of the command uname -a is:
>
> SunOS SFV880 5.8 Generic_108528-18 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-880
>
> Thanks a lot for your help
> Please let me know if you need more informations

> making `dynamic' in directory
> /user/home/bellucci/udunits/udunits-1.11.7/src/perl
>
> /bin/perl -I/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris -I/usr/perl5/5.00503
> /usr/perl5/5.00503/ExtUtils/xsubpp  -typemap
> /usr/perl5/5.00503/ExtUtils/typemap -typemap typemap UDUNITS.xs >xstmp.c &&
> mv xstmp.c UDUNITS.c
> Please specify prototyping behavior for UDUNITS.xs (see perlxs manual)
> gcc -c -I../lib -I../port/misc  -xO3 -xdepend     -DVERSION=\"1.11.7\"
> -DXS_VERSION=\"1.11.7\" -KPIC -I/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE
> UDUNITS.c
> gcc: unrecognized option `-KPIC'
> gcc: language depend not recognized
gcc: UDUNITS.c: linker input file unused since linking not done
> mkdir blib
> mkdir blib/arch
> mkdir blib/arch/auto
> mkdir blib/arch/auto/UDUNITS
> Running Mkbootstrap for UDUNITS ()
> chmod 644 UDUNITS.bs
> LD_RUN_PATH="/user/home/bellucci/udunits/udunits-1.11.7/src/perl/../lib:/lib"
> cc -o blib/arch/auto/UDUNITS/UDUNITS.so
> -R/user/home/bellucci/udunits/udunits-1.11.7/src/perl/../lib -R/lib -G
> UDUNITS.o    -L/user/home/bellucci/udunits/udunits-1.11.7/src/perl/../lib
> -ludunits -lm
> ucbcc: Warning: Option
> -YP,:/usr/ucblib:/opt/SUNWspro/WS6U2/bin/../lib:/opt/SUNWspro/WS6U2/bin:/usr/ccs/lib:/usr/lib
>  passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored otherwise
> ld: warning: option -YP appears more than once, first setting taken
> ld: fatal: file UDUNITS.o: open failed: No such file or directory
> ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to
> blib/arch/auto/UDUNITS/UDUNITS.so
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
> `blib/arch/auto/UDUNITS/UDUNITS.so'
> Current working directory /user/home/bellucci/udunits/udunits-1.11.7/src/perl
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `perl/dynamic'

The problem is that perl tries to use the same compiler that built it to
build extension modules and, apparently, this means that it tries to use
the compiler /usr/ucb/cc to build the UDUNITS extension module.  This
compiler is not a Standard C compiler and can't build that module.  (In
general, that compiler is defunct and shouldn't be used for anything.)

You can discover what compiler was used to build the perl utility via
the "-V" option, e.g.,

    $ perl -V
    Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 6 subversion 0) configuration:
      Platform:
      Compiler:
        cc='cc', optimize='-O', gccversion=
        cppflags='-I/usr/local/include -I/opt/gnu/include'
        ccflags ='-I/usr/local/include -I/opt/gnu/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64'
        stdchar='unsigned char', d_stdstdio=define, usevfork=false
        intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8
        d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=16
        ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t',
lseeksize=8
        alignbytes=8, usemymalloc=y, prototype=define

If you do NOT want the perl extension module for UDUNITS, then do the
following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.

    3.  Set the environment variable PERL to the empty string, e.g.,

            export PERL=''

        or

            setenv PERL ''

        depending on your user-shell.

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.

If you want the perl extension module for UDUNITS, then try the
following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.

    3.  Remove the directory "/usr/ucb" from your PATH environment
        variable.

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson