20030226: Trouble installing udunits

Brian,

>Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:28:52 -0600
>From: "HOETH, BRIAN R. (JSC-ZS) (LM)" <address@hidden>
>To: "'Steve Emmerson'" <address@hidden>
>Subject: RE: 20030225: Trouble installing udunits

> Thanks for the info.  I tried setting my variables based on the 'perl -V'
> output, but I still had no joy?
>
> I have attached the output of 'perl -V' for reference.  Would I set CC to
> 'gcc' if I wanted to install the perl extension of UDUNITS???

When the perl utility builds an extension module, it uses the same
options for compilation that were used to build the perl utility;
therefore, it is almost a requirement that the same compiler be used.

> I didn't do
> that when I tried to install the perl extension, I used CC=/usr/bin/cc, but
> for CPPFLAGS and CFLAGS I used what was in the 'perl -V' output for cppflags
> and ccflags respectively and set PERL=/usr/local/bin/perl.

Don't worry about setting CPPFLAGS and CFLAGS, the perl utility will
take care of that.  What's important is to use the saem compiler.

> I read in the INSTALL for UDUNITS though that you may have to be superuser
> in order to install the perl extension.  I don't have superuser capabilities
> unfortunately.  I may have to get together with our system admin to see how
> he installed perl and also get with him to see if he can try to install
> UDUNITS?
>
> Questions:  Does the perl extension need to be installed?

No.

> Why would one want the perl extension?

In order to access the UDUNITS library from the perl utility.

> The reason I'm installing UDUNITS in the first place is because I am wanting
> to install the UNIDATA decoders.tar.Z package and one of the requirements
> for this package is UDUNITS.  Do you know if the perl extension to UDUNITS
> is necessary for the decoders.tar.Z package?

It is.

Regards,