[THREDDS #PXS-613580]: issue reading TDS file in OPeNDAP

Thanks for the reminder.
Periods in opendap names technically must be escaped.
The reason it works here is because it is in the DAS
and there is no ambiguity.
Unidata and Opendap have both deliberately interpreted the
spec a bit loosely.
In practice, the only place where escaping is required is if
an opendap name containing periods appears in a constraint expression.

p.s. I am surprised that NCO has problem with this.
My assumption is that NCO is accessing this thru the netcdf-c
library, and periods are legal in netcdf identifiers.
You might check with the NCO people. There may be a separate
bug in NCO or netcdf-c that needs to be addressed as a separate
issue.

=Dennis Heimbigner
  Unidata

Ticket ID: PXS-613580