[THREDDS #VNI-792787]: WMS error

Hi Hualan,

Ah, I think we're getting somewhere now!  I'll be happy to add the
customized grib tables to the TDS when I am confident that I'm not going
to break something.  When I was looking at the gldas data files (CLM,
Mosaic, Noah), I saw that all of them were using
Center-Subcenter-Version 221-221-1.  However, I noticed a subtle
difference on the parameter definition of at least one variable, and
then there was the oddity of having the same parameter number map to
multiple levels.  Strictly speaking, this sort of thing (deviating from
one-to-one mapping) is not allowed, even if the "value" is the same at
the different levels, and different datasets with different parameters
should have individual grib tables for those datasets. Furthermore,
before I hard code in a Version 1 table, I need to be sure that the
table has never changed.  If some parameter was changed, or even added,
the version number should increment.  That way, someone who created a
dataset using the Version 1 table a couple of years ago won't experience
a problem when  someone uses the "new" table to read their data.

All that said, I don't know much about Panoply, but the TDS does allow
custom grib tables to be used at the local level:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/netcdf-java/formats/GribTables.html#GribTables

It's possible for someone running a TDS to include these tables locally
for serving up data.  On the other hand, if I can get definitive,
composite tables for the following datasets, I'll include them in our
distribution:

7-4-130
7-12-130
7-138-130

173-4-130

221-221-1

Including them in our distribution would ultimately be the better
option, as then anyone using our software would have the correct tables
for these datasets.

Many Thanks,
   Lansing