[THREDDS #GIL-658582]: http 500 errors with wms service

Hi Patrick,

I'm guessing that if you are running a new installation of the TDS directly
from a new war file, that perhaps you haven't set up WMS as an allowed service.
 You do this in ThreddsConfig by uncommenting the relevant section and setting

<WMS>
  <allow>true</allow>
</WMS>

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/reference/ThreddsConfigXMLFile.html#WMS

Let me know if that isn't what's going on, and we'll dig deeper.

Regards,
  Lansing Madry
  Unidata
  Boulder, Colorado

> Full Name: Patrick Hildreth
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 4.3 from war file
> Operating System: Linux  2.6.32-358.0.1.el6.x86_64
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: I am running a Thredds Data Server under Apache
> Tomcat/7.0.35. It was deployed from the war file directly. Everything works
> except for the wms service. When accessing a wms service link a 500 error is
> returned.
>
> In the tomcat localhost logs I am seeing erros like this:
>
> Apr 11, 2013 5:26:43 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
> SEVERE: StandardWrapper.Throwable
> with name 'wmsController' defined in ServletContext resource
> [/WEB-INF/wms-servlet.xml]: Invocation of init method fai
> led; nested exception is java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out
>
> The machine where this is failing had been pretty well locked down in terms
> of ports. I have a duplicate installation on 3 other machines who are more
> permissive and they all work without a hitch.
>
> The error suggests that I need to have a sysad open something up but it's not
> clear to me what that would be (if my premise is correct)
>
> Are there some specific ports/services that need to be opened for the wms to
> work?

Ticket ID: GIL-658582
Department: Support THREDDS