[THREDDS #JWN-928251]: Two suggestions for enhancement of CF-compliant data when accessed via NCSS point dataset

Hi Rich,

thank you for reporting this, actually, you get that behavior in NCSS Grid
requests and will be fixed in 4.3.16 for grid as point requests. Basically,
you'll get the closest vertical level to the value in the vertCoord.
Also, we'll add the vertCoord input to the NCSS form that was disabled when we
refactored the NCSS in the transition from 4.2 to 4.3 but we never put it back
again...
We are working as well in adding all the variables needed for the coordinate
transformations in the grid requests and adding the actual depths in the grid
as point responses.
Allowing the user to subset using actual depths is a bit harder. In the grid
case if you allow users to request the 50m depth, you have to find out for each
time and grid point in which level fit that depth and build a new grid and that
could be a lot of processing. In the grid as point, you can not give the users
any reference values or a range for the vertical levels the may request and
they must know beforehand how deep is the point they are requesting and be
aware if they request 500m for a point 10m deep they are going to get the value
at 10m...
I'll keep the related jira tickets updated and let you know if all these
features finally go in the 4.3.16 release.

Cheers!

Ticket ID: JWN-928251
Department: Support THREDDS