[THREDDS #RUH-556112]: problem displaying after adding restrictedDatasetUser to a few datasets

Hi Donna,

What version of Java, Tomcat, and the TDS are you running? And have you
upgraded Tomcat recently?

The reason I ask is that the last few lines you gave from your catalina.out
file look more like a Tomcat problem than a TDS problem.

> SEVERE: Begin event threw exception java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.catalina.core.ThreadLocalLeakPreventionListener

And if I google the org.apache.catalina.core.ThreadLocalLeakPreventionListener
ClassNotFoundException, I find a stackoverflow page that suggests making sure
you have a clean Tomcat install:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6559952/error-starting-tomcat-server

From this and a few other pages, it sounds like the
ThreadLocalLeakPreventionListener class is a new addition to Tomcat (6 and 7).
Not sure how an upgrade of Tomcat might cause this but figured it was worth
asking.

If not Tomcat, did you upgraded the TDS recently? If so, what process did you
follow? Sometimes when an undeploy/deploy doesn't go smoothly, the next startup
can cause problems. Though that is usually with TDS classes not being found
rather than Tomcat/Catalina classes.

Thanks,

Ethan

Donna Cote wrote:
> When I say "problem displaying", I mean that the
> http://scoopdata.tamu.edu/thredds/catalog.html page has Apache reporting
> "Service Temporarily Unavailable"
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated. I even tried reverting to the
> previous configs I had working. I don't remember how to fix the PermGen
> error. Thanks, Donna
>
> Our catalina.out is reporting:
> <snip>
> SEVERE: The web application [/thredds] created a ThreadLocal with key of
> type [org.apache.log4j.helpers.ThreadLocalMap] (value
> [org.apache.log4j.helpers.ThreadLocalMap@bf4472]) and a value of
> type [java.util.Hashtable] (value [{startTime=1315275719587, ID=8}])
> but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. This is
> very likely to create a memory leak.
> Sep 5, 2011 10:01:56 PM org.apache.coyote.ajp.AbstractAjpProtocol stop
> INFO: Stopping Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-8009Sep 5, 2011 10:02:00 PM
> org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester startElement
> SEVERE: Begin event threw exception
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.catalina.core.ThreadLocalLeakPreventionListener
> <snip>

Ticket ID: RUH-556112
Department: Support THREDDS