[THREDDS #CGZ-817431]: THREDDS WCS

Hi Mark,

The "experimental" comment is a very old one from early in the development of
our WCS implementation. We support the WCS capabilities in a similar fashion to
the other TDS capabilities. That is, we try to fix bugs as quickly as we can
given our constrained resources and other requirements; we welcome
contributions from users.

I will mention that WCS is not as heavily used as our other data access
services (e.g., OPeNDAP, WMS, and NCSS). So it may not have the same level of
user testing/pounding that our other services may have. The lighter use is
mainly because the client support isn't as well developed as for the other
services, at least not in our user community.

Anyway, I have removed the "experimental" comment from our documentation.

As for WCS 2.0, we do not currently have any plans to implement a WCS 2.0
implementation. For one thing, the WCS 2.0 specification is written in the new
OGC core/extension style and there are still a number of extensions that need
to be written before we could implement. We are tracking developing extensions
but don't have the resources to push any forward at the moment.

Hope that helps,

Ethan

Mark Jackson wrote:

> We are part of a consortium working on an EU climate science project
> (CARBONES).
>
> I would like to ask a question about THREDDS support for WCS. I see from
> the website that THREDDS support for WCS is considered experimental and not
> to be used in a production environment? Is that still true, and are there
> any plans to improve the support? I also wonder whether you plan to support
> WCS 2.0?
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/reference/WCS.html
>
> Thanks in advance and best regards
> Mark