[THREDDS #OCJ-794876]: Partial download not working after upgrading THREDDS?

Hi Reinoud,

Glad it is working for you.

It may be the redeployment of thredds that fixed the problem. I haven't seen
this particular problem before but we have run into problems if a new thredds
is deployed in a way that doesn't first undeploy the old thredds. So we now
always undeploy first.

Let us know if the problem shows up again.

Ethan

Reinoud Bokhorst wrote:
> Hi Ethan,
>
> When preparing a file I noticed that the problem has disappeared
> mysteriously (after redeploying thredds 4.1.4 and using newly
> generated NetCDF files as a double-check for myself). So I have
> nothing to send you right now...
> The NetCDF files are regenerated every 10 minutes so when the
> problem appears again I'll make sure to make a copy of the files
> that fail. If not, sorry to have bothered you with this.
>
> Reinoud
>
> Unidata THREDDS Support wrote:
>> Hi Reinoud,
>>
>> Could you send us a sample dataset with which you are having this problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ethan
>>
>> On 8/13/2010 12:47 PM, Reinoud Bokhorst wrote:
>>> I recently upgraded THREDDS from V4.0.26 (Build Date = 2009-08-31 21:40:02)
>>> to V4.1.20100520.1554
>>> (Build Date = 2010-05-20 15:54:14) and have the following problem with the
>>> new version:
>>>
>>> I have a NetCDF point data file that I distribute with THREDDS via HTTP
>>> (i.e. only the HTTPServer
>>> service is configured for this dataset). With THREDDS 4.0 I could load this
>>> file in IDV by opening
>>> the catalog in the data chooser and selecting data source "netCDF/GEMPAK
>>> Point Data file". With
>>> THREDDS 4.1 this fails with the Java error trace as shown below in this
>>> email.
>>>
>>> When inspecting the network traffic it appears that IDV tries to use
>>> partial downloads (packet size
>>> 20000 bytes). When inspecting the threddsServlet.log it seems that it is
>>> not working properly in
>>> THREDDS 4.1.
>>>
>>> Attached the relevant snippets from the THREDDS log files. The
>>> thredds.servlet.ServletUtil reports
>>> partial download (status 206) but with number of bytes 0 and sometimes even
>>> negative in 4.1. Finally
>>> it seems to give up.
>>>
>>> (I tried different IDV version (2.7u2 and 2.9) but that makes no
>>> difference, it really seems to be
>>> THREDDS).
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Reinoud Bokhorst
>>>

>>> *** IDV ERROR TRACE ***
>>>
>>> ERROR: There was an error loading the data:
>>> Error creating data source:netcdf.point with:
>>> [http://kryten:8180/thredds/fileServer/weerkamer/obs/knmi/gts/Surface_Synoptic_latest.nc]
>>> Point obs data source failed making data set:
>>> http://kryten:8180/thredds/fileServer/weerkamer/obs/knmi/gts/Surface_Synoptic_latest.nc
>>>   Unable to make a PointDataset from
>>> http://kryten:8180/thredds/fileServer/weerkamer/obs/knmi/gts/Surface_Synoptic_latest.nc
>>> Error =
>>> ucar.unidata.data.BadDataException: Unable to make a PointDataset from
>>> http://kryten:8180/thredds/fileServer/weerkamer/obs/knmi/gts/Surface_Synoptic_latest.nc
>>> Error =
>>>      at
>>> ucar.unidata.data.point.NetcdfPointDataSource.doMakeDataset(NetcdfPointDataSource.java:282)
>>>      at
>>> ucar.unidata.data.point.NetcdfPointDataSource.getDataset(NetcdfPointDataSource.java:252)
>>>      at
>>> ucar.unidata.data.point.NetcdfPointDataSource.initAfterCreation(NetcdfPointDataSource.java:209)
>>>      at
>>> ucar.unidata.data.DataManager.createDataSource(DataManager.java:1564)
>>>      at
>>> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.createDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1998)
>>>      at
>>> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1915)
>>>      at
>>> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1849)
>>>      at
>>> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1822)
>>>      at
>>> ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.IdvChooser.makeDataSource(IdvChooser.java:943)
>>>      at
>>> ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.XmlChooser.makeDataSource(XmlChooser.java:280)
>>>      at
>>> ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.ThreddsHandler.processNodes(ThreddsHandler.java:834)
>>>      at
>>> ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.ThreddsHandler.doLoad(ThreddsHandler.java:693)
>>>      at
>>> ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.XmlChooser.doLoadInThread(XmlChooser.java:717)
>>>      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>>>      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>>>      at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>>>      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
>>>      at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$2.run(Misc.java:1061)
>>>      at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$3.run(Misc.java:1089)

Ticket ID: OCJ-794876
Department: Support THREDDS