[THREDDS #NAV-696054]: Any hack for file that is overwritten each day?

Hi Rich,

John is out the rest of the week, so I'll answer this one.

> I was going to announce this to all the IOOS gang, but before I do, I
> realized that I don't really know if we have to have a the datasetRoot
> or not.  I had never used datasetRoot because it seemed just a way to
> create a shorter URL, which didn't seem that useful.
>
> So if it's in the datasetRoot, anything that uses that root will not
> be cached right?
>
> Can we also add cache="false" to <dataset> and not have the <datasetRoot>?

Bottom line: <datasetRoot> is required for any dataset you want to serve that
isn't configured by a <datasetScan> or an aggregation.

More detail ...

datasetRoot, like datasetScan, provides the TDS with the mapping between the
URL and the location on disk. So for John's example:

> >  <datasetRoot path="testN" location="/content/data/" cache="false" />

the file /content/data/file.nc would be served when a request came in for the
URL ".../testN/file.nc". Without the datasetRoot element, the TDS would not
know how to locate the file when the request came in.

The way the dataset references the datasetRoot is by starting its urlPath with
the path of the datasetRoot. So the dataset from the above would look like:

<dataset ID='coolData' name="Cool Data" urlPath="testN/file.nc">...</dataset>

Hope that makes sense,

Ethan

Ticket ID: NAV-696054
Department: Support THREDDS