[THREDDS #CXD-368286]: <variables> metadata in THREDDS catalogs

Hi Roland,

> Attached are two sample catalogs.  In one there is no
> <variables> element in the metadata section and when parsing
> the catalog and looking at the contents of
> List variables = threddsDataset.getVariables();
> variables is an empty list as expected.
>
> However, when looking at the same list when parsing
> the catalog with the <variables> element,the
> List variables contains one null object.
>
> These catalogs are being served using:
>
> Built-On: 2008-08-23 00:36:38
> Implementation-Title: THREDDS Data Server
> Implementation-Version: 3.16.42
> Implementation-Vendor: UCAR/Unidata
>
> and parsed using:
>
> Built-On: 2008-08-22 23:05:35
> Implementation-Title: NetCDF-Java-UITools
> Implementation-Version: 2.2.22.26
> Implementation-Vendor: UCAR/Unidata
>

> Either the catalog is incorrect, or there is a bug in
> the software suite serving/parsing the catalog.  Any ideas?

I'm not having a problem with either catalog. With the vars.xml catalog,
calling getVariables() on any of the datasets I get a list with one variable,
clivi - "atmosphere_cloud_ice_content".

Are the catalogs you included what you got from the server
(http://server/thredds/.../*.xml)? Or what's on disk on the server?

The ToolsUI I'm looking at was built 2008-11-25 02:50:22. So a few months after
yours. I don't see any changes in the catalog objects or the parsing between
those build dates.

Can you give us some details on what you are doing when you see this problem?
How are you parsing the catalog? Are you calling InvCatalogFactory.readXML()?

Ethan

Ticket ID: CXD-368286
Department: Support THREDDS