Re: FW: Securing OPeNDAP Question

Hi Philip:

I didnt follow all of the conversation below, but Ill just jump in and you tell
me what I might be missing, or other info you need:

We do have various security possibilities in the TDS. These apply to any of the
data services, including opendap.

1) One could trivially just put anything you want under https using tomcat
mechanisms.

2) Luca and I last year worked out a more complicated scheme that does
authentication with https, then switches back to http for the actual data
transfer. As a default it uses Tomcat authorization, but you can also plug in
other software, including your own. We tested it with CAS and CAMS, and Luca
tested it with his plugin I think. It was a hand-rolled solution and had a few
problems, but worked at the time.

3) We are Springifying TDS curerntly, and will try to use Spring Security
(formerly Ageci) for future security implementations, if possible.

I understand that security implementation has changed again for ESG, and Luca
and I agreed that when things settled down for him in a few months, we would
take this up again to make sure TDS was a useable component for ESG. One of the
issues remains browser based authentication vs software agent (eg a visualizer
like IDV, or a Matlab program). My impression is that different solutions are
required in ESG.

In short, we have been waiting for ESG to have a clear requirement defined and,
I assume, an implementation strategy, and then we will incorporate into the TDS

Regards,
John