[netCDFJava #LWQ-687003]: OpenDAP Dataset Access Form looks ok, but won't open in toolsui

Hi Rich,

> I have a THREDDS OpenDAP dataset that produces a OpenDAP Dataset
> Access Form that looks ok:
> http://coast-enviro.er.usgs.gov/thredds/dodsC/ncom/test.html
>
> but the OpenDAP data URL
> http://coast-enviro.er.usgs.gov/thredds/dodsC/ncom/test
> will not open in ToolsUI, returning:
> "Inconsistent array length read: 1165128303 != 1914731274"

I'm not getting the inconsistent array length message but I'm having trouble
reading the data. Sometimes it just says it can't read it and other times it
has an IO error (this is actually from IDV but I got the same thing in ToolsUI):

java.io.IOException
        at ucar.nc2.dods.DODSNetcdfFile.readArrays(DODSNetcdfFile.java:1165)
        at ucar.nc2.dods.DODSNetcdfFile.<init>(DODSNetcdfFile.java:289)
        at ucar.nc2.dataset.NetcdfDataset.acquireDODS(NetcdfDataset.java:592)
        at
ucar.nc2.dataset.NetcdfDataset.openOrAcquireFile(NetcdfDataset.java:561)
        at ucar.nc2.dataset.NetcdfDataset.openDataset(NetcdfDataset.java:338)
        at ucar.nc2.dataset.NetcdfDataset.acquireDataset(NetcdfDataset.java:409)
        at ucar.nc2.dataset.NetcdfDataset.acquireDataset(NetcdfDataset.java:385)
        at ucar.nc2.dt.grid.GridDataset.open(GridDataset.java:71)

The DAS and DDS look fine as does a .ascii request for lat, lon, time, and
depth. But when I request tau

http://coast-enviro.er.usgs.gov/thredds/dodsC/ncom/test.asc?tau

I get this error message

Error {
    code = -1;
    message = "NcSDArray ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException=null";
};

Is this an aggregated dataset? If so, can you send us the NcML that specifies
the aggregation?

Where does tau come from? I notice that it isn't used as a coordinate variable
by any of the data variables.

Thanks,

Ethan

Ticket ID: LWQ-687003