[THREDDS #MIN-918666]: Inherited metadata within <aggregation>

Hi Jerome,

> Is there a way to get the "datasetScan" or other tool to scan the metadata
> info stored in the NetCDF files and "create" automatically what should be
> manually entered within the <metadata> tags?

I'm afraid there isn't currently much support in "datasetScan" for reading
metadata from the netCDF files. It is something we plan to implement but
we haven't had the time to get it working yet. There is some metadata
extraction capabilities but it is, at this point, pretty much all based
on file names. You can read about some of the details here:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/docs/datasetScan/

See the two sections at the bottom on dataset size and time coverage.

We do have a very rough tool for catalog editing that can do some metadata
extraction from the netCDF files. But it has a number of issues and isn't
really ready for prime time yet. I'll ask John, who developed that tool,
if he can comment on that.

Hope this helps.

Ethan

Ticket ID: MIN-918666