Re: thredds information (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:13:05 -0600
From: Ethan Davis <address@hidden>
To: Mark W Govett <address@hidden>
     John Caron <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: thredds information

Hi Mark,

Robb forwarded this question to me.

It is in line with THREDDS to have dataset access to local files or mass
store. There aren't many service types listed in our schema. In
particular, we haven't thought much about offline datasets. You can use
"File" for local files but for mass store you'll probably need to decide
on your own service type ID string. (The schema allows other strings as
service type. The predefined list is mostly to encourage
interoperability in terms of service types used.) At some point we'll
need to get feedback from users and expand the list.

I've seen some of your other emails on the dods and thredds lists. Just
wanted to mention, in case you aren't aware of it, that the newer
versions of GDS (within the last year or more, 1.2.9+ I think) can
output THREDDS catalogs. You just add "thredds" to the end of any
directory url, e.g., "http://cola8.iges.org:9090/dods/thredds"; gets the
catalog for one of the COLA servers.

Hope this is useful,

Ethan

--
Ethan R. Davis                                Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                             Fax:       (303) 497-8690