Re: Annoying problem: embedded HTML in body of documentation tag

Folks,

Boy, this solves a bunch of problems for me, both with THREDDS catalogs and XML FGDC files.

Thanks.
Roland

If found this succinct explanation of the CDATA marker at:
http://access1.sun.com/techarticles/CDATA/CDATAArticle.html
How to Handle CDATA Sections in XML Files
Using the Java[tm] Platform APIs for XML Parsing (JAXP)

by Michelle Cope
(April 2002)

We want to hear from you! Please send us your FEEDBACK.

The following article may contain actual software programs in source code form. This source code is made available for developers to use as needed, pursuant to the terms and conditions of this license.

XML files often contain character data that an enclosing application requires to extract as presented - for example, input data for a subroutine or XML markup to be displayed in a browser. Any parser parsing the XML file should not interpret this character data and present it to the application unchanged. Any character data marked as a CDATA section in an XML file will not be interpreted by the parser. An example of a CDATA section is as follows:

<![CDATA[Hello this is the content of a CDATA section]]>

All CDATA sections have three components: a CDATA start marker, ' <![CDATA', a character content body. For example, "Hello this is the content of a CDATA section", and a CDATA end marker, ']]>'. A CDATA section is often used for character data that includes special XML characters, such as '&' and '<' that need to be preserved for the calling application.
.
.
.

Joe Wielgosz wrote:

Hi Benno,
1) you can always use it. it is part of the basic XML syntax definition.
2) mail client behavior - i am constantly hitting reply thinking the
reply will go to the mailing list, but it goes to the sender instead..

- Joe