just groups of datasets. A Collection as a dataset is done as a dataset with
nested datasets. Nested dataset elements (Joe's meaning #2) should imply (in
some way we need to clarify better) nested datasets (Joe's meaning #1 and
#3).

2) allow compound services again. I have talked myself into that these will
be often useful.

3) services are now contained within any collection, rather than having to
be all in the top catalog element. They are scoped by the collection they
are in (so we no longer use ID, since those are global). This makes a
catalogRef have (almost) the same semantics as a collection.

4) a catalog now only has exactly one collection element. (i considered
eliminating catalog but i think its better this way).

5) "attribute" changed to "property" (tired of saying "the attribute
attribute")

6) access element can specify an absolute URL with a serverType -or- a
reletive URL with a serverID.

Unless I get a barrage of objections, I will document this in more detail
ASAP. I will be gone for a week starting next Tuesdy, so Ethan will continue
the conversation as needed. Hopefully, we can converge soon and take a
break! I think I have incorporated all the good ideas i have heard in this
discussion. Have I left out something, or do you think any feature is not
worth the complexity?