[LDM #CRE-370936]: LDM build on OpenIndiana?

Hi Russ,

re:
> We recently obtained the storage system that was partially supported by the
> Unidata
> equipment grant (thanks!) to ramp up our collection and archival of real-time
> and
> archived data.

Super!

re:
> Our systems administrator, CJ Keist (copied here) asked whether anyone
> has successfully installed the LDM on an OpenIndiana system -- he was
> thinking of using
> that environment to build the latest version of the LDM because of its ZFS
> filesystem if
> possible.  Do you know if this has been done, doing so?

I know of nobody in the Unidata community that has installed OpenIndiana.

Question:

- is the only reason to use this (apparently) Linux installation instead of
  something like RedHat Enterprise/CentOS the ZFS file system?

  If yes, has someone there investigated installing ZFS on a more commonly
  used Linux distro?

  I would be concerned to switch to using an OS that was not in common
  use in the overall Unidata community...

re:
> If it won't work, then we can definitely use Linux instead.  Thanks for any
> help you can provide!

I will ask our system administrator to see if he knows anything about
OpenIndiana.

Ticket ID: CRE-370936
Department: Support Platforms