[Platforms #FDA-403251]: CentOS vs SL

Hi Brendon,

re:
> I'm planning on doing some server hardware upgrades this summer.  Rather
> than open up another "which platform is the best debate" with the entire
> Unidata community, I wanted to get your thoughts on whether I should
> remain with the CentOS platform (which I've used since ~2005) or switch
> to Scientific Linux.

We have been long term Fedora users, but we have recently installed CentOS
on some development machines.  I use CentOS 6.4 x86_64 as both my personal
VMware
Player virtual machine and on my Unidata workstation.  I have seen no
compelling reason to switch from this environment to Scientific Linux.

re:
> From my own research, it seems as though the
> differences are trivial, but I wanted to get some outside perspective.

Mike and I were chatting about why some users have moved to Scientific Linux
just yesterday.  Neither of us knows why they did this as there does not
seem to be any measurable benefit ** at least ** for users of Unidata
supported packages.  One site (UW/AOS) tried using Scientific Linux on
a new IDD relay node, but backed out after he found that he could not
make useful LDM queues greater than 15 (or was it 20?) GB in size.  When
he installed CentOS 6.x x8_64 on the same hardware, his problems disappeared.
I must say that I have _NO_ idea why there would be a difference when
using the LDM in each environment, but just the fact that one user ran
into problems adds more weight to my thinking "why bother"!

re:
> Any insights are greatly appreciated.

What made you consider moving to Scientific Linux in the first place?

Ticket ID: FDA-403251
Department: Support Platforms