[Platforms #DYP-533202]: Advice for new idd.aos.wisc.edu?

Hi Pete,

re:
> Here's a question that I just thought of. For CPUs on a relay box, is
> the performance going to be better with more physical CPUs with fewer
> cores each, or with fewer CPUs with more cores each. For example, do you
> think performance would be better with two quad-core opteron CPUs or a
> single 8 core?

I don't think that we know the answer to this.  Quite frankly, the limiting
factors on machines used for IDD relay are memory and I/O.  The CPU(s)
has almost never been the bottleneck.

re:
> I always assumed that the 2x4 would be better than 1x8, but since all of
> the cores would presumably be operating on roughly the same stream of
> data, or data from a similiar region of the queue, perhaps the cache
> would get a lot of hits and you might actually see better performance
> from the single 8 core CPU?

This is unknown.

re:
> Any ideas or thoughts on this?

I will discuss it with our system administrator Mike Schmidt to see if
he has any guidance for us.  I have a feeling, however, that his
comments will be that the CPU configuration is a toss-up.

re:
> Thanks again,

No worries.

Ticket ID: DYP-533202