[Platforms #YOO-548677]: Machine Specs for Proposed GEMPAK Server to El Centro College in Dallas

Hi Steve,

re:
> My name is Steve McCauley, and I am an instructor of Earth and
> Atmospheric Science at El Centro College in Dallas, Texas.  I was
> introduced to the Unidata program by Tom Whittaker, and we are in hopes
> of becoming a member institution.

Tom sent me an email alerting that you were likely to get in touch with
us.  Welcome aboard!

re:
> Tom suggested that I send you the specifications for a machine we are
> considering purchasing for the Earth Science Department.  We have
> acquired the services of SkyWatch to install the appropriate software
> (http://skywatch.org/gempak/gempak.htm), and we plan on eventually
> adding McIDAS.

OK.  We are a bit surprised by you contracting with someone to install
GEMPAK, but that, of course, is up to you.  One warning regarding McIDAS:
SkyWatch is not licensed/licenseable (if that is a word) for Unidata
McIDAS, so they will not be able to help you install setup the package.
I, on the other hand, can help you would with McIDAS (I support McIDAS
in Unidata) when you get to that state.

re:
> We are wanting to utilize this box to create a data-rich
> weather website, similar to the amazing efforts that the College of
> DuPage has been able to accomplish.  I was hoping if you could look over
> the specs to our workstation below, and let me know if you foresee any
> issues or potential problems we might run into.

The machine specs look impressive.  I am glad to see that you are
want to do everything on it (i.e., run the LDM to get data; GEMPAK to
decode and analyze those data; and possibly to host the web site
you want to have).  The only thing I do not see in the specs you list
is the type of Ethernet interface(s) the machine has.  Presumably,
this(these) would be 10/100/1000 Mbps.  In short, I can't foresee
any problems running our software with this machine.

re:
> Thank you for any assistance or guidance you might have in this process
> of becoming an official member of Unidata.

Becoming a member of the Unidata community is simple.  In fact, this
email is sufficient.  When you get to the point where you want to
download software, however, you will need to be registered with
our website.  This is very easy to do and does not take much time:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

- click on the 'Login' link near the top middle of the HomePage
- follow directions/links for those 'Not Yet Registered?'

That's it in a nutshell!

> SYSTEM COMPONENTS
> Dell Precision T3500n   Qty    1
>
> Dell Precision T3500n, CMT, Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS v5.3 for EM64T 64bit
> system w/ 1 YR RHN, w/ Media
>

> Catalog Number:   18 MLB1155
> Module   Description
> Dell Precision T3500n Dell Precision T3500n, CMT
> Operating System Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS v5.3 for EM64T 64bit system w/ 1
> YR RHN, w/ Media
> Processor Quad Core IntelT Xeon W3580 3.33GHz, 8M, 6.4GT/s, Turbo
> Memory 12GB, 1333MHz, DDR3 SDRAM, ECC (3 DIMMS)
> Keyboard Dell QuietKey Keyboard
> Monitor No Monitor
> Graphics 768MB NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 1800, DUAL MON, 2 DP & 1 DVI
> Boot Hard Drive 300GB, 3.0Gb/s, SAS, 3.5 inch, 15K RPM Hard Drive
> Hard Drive Configuration C12, All SAS, No Raid for 1 Hard Drive
> Floppy Drive and Media Card Reader Options No Floppy Drive and No Media Card
> Reader
> Mouse Dell USB 2 Button Optical Mouse
> Chassis Configuration and 1394 Desktop Chassis Configuration
> Optical Devices 16XDVD AND 16XDVD+/-RW, Data Only
> Speakers No Speaker option
> Power Supplies Precision T3500 CMT Standard PSU
> Documentation Documentation, English, with 125V Power Cord
> Hard Drive Controller Dell SAS 6/iR Controller with RAID 0 or 1
> Resource DVD Resource DVD - contains Diagnostics and Drivers for n-Series
> Hardware Support Services 3 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 3 Year NBD Onsite
> Service
> Installation Services No Onsite System Setup
> Quick Reference Guide Quick Reference Guide, English
> Shipping Packaging Options Shipping Material for System

Ticket ID: YOO-548677
Department: Support Platforms