[Platforms #EWA-768838]: Unidata supported platforms

Hi Samuel,

re: platforms on which McIDAS can be built
> That's cool.  It's good to know there are a few other platform options
> available.

I believe that there is at least one site that is running the LDM and McIDAS on
Slackware Linux also, but I have not had any contact with them for awhile.

> What are your opinions about installing McIDAS-X on Windows using SFU, or
> McIDAS-V?

I have never liked the SFU solution adopted by SSEC.  Not only do you have to
install
SFU, you have to choose an X Windows package and maintain it also.  Plus, SSEC
does not provide any hard guidelines on which X Windows system to use.  My
experience
with VMware Player has been very good so far.  In addition to being able to run
McIDAS-X, one can run GEMPAK and the LDM.  This might be a big benefit for
Windows
shops.

As far as McIDAS-V, so far it _is_ the IDV which runs very nicely under Windows.
As McIDAS-V evolves, I expect that it will continue to run nicely under Windows
as a native application.  (I say this from my perspective as a member of the
McIDAS Advisory Committee (MAC)).

Ticket ID: EWA-768838
Department: Support Platforms