[Egrants #SIS-820234]: ldm server

Hi Mike,

re:
> I would like your opinion about having one server
> ingest data, and another for analysis, gempak, students accounts,
> websites, etc.

This is a common setup at Unidata sites.

> The LDM server would mainly ingest data,
> and the hardware I have in mind is attached as "ldm_server.pdf"

The unit you list is quite the muscle machine:

Intel quad core
4 GB RAM
1 TB hard disk
CD/DVD ROM         <- DVD important as current releases of Linux have moved/
                      are moving to media distribution on DVD only
redundant power supplies
dual Gbps Ethernet

It should handle whatever data you ingest nicely (with appropriate software
configuration, of course).

> The student and research server is attached as
> "synoptic_server.pdf"

This is even more of a muscle machine, so it should work wonderfully.

My only questions are:

- would you benefit from more than one "student and research" machine

- when you refer to the student and research machine as a server, what
  do you really mean?  How do you envision this machine being used?

- finally, I did not see any video card or monitor listed for the student
  and research server.  This leads me to think that you are envisioning
  a setup where other machines are running applications off of the server
  but displayed on other workstations.  Is this your plan?

> I'd like to know if this is a viable and/or recommended approach.

Yes, it is viable.  It might be better if you had more than one student and
research machine, but I can not say for sure because I do not understand
your intended setup or what capabilities you need now and envision to need
down the road.

Ticket ID: SIS-820234
Department: Support Platforms