[Egrants #XXX-820212]: ADDE Server Specs

Hi Brendon,

re:
> One of the components of my planned equipment grant is hardware to
> support a new dedicated ADDE server for IDV & McIDAS datasets.  We would
> be interested in serving the typical ADDE datasets:
>
> GINIEAST, GINIWEST, GINICOMP, NEXRCOMP, RTGRIDS, RTIMAGES, RTNEXRAD,
> RTPTSRC, RTWXTEXT, TOPO
>
> as well as real time model data sets for use with IDV.

OK.  Presumably access to the datasets hosted on this machine would be open
to the Unidata community?  You would also want to host a THREDDS server.
This would fit the desire for real-time datasets for use with IDV.

> I could use some guidance and suggestions for how much computing power
> is required for this.  Our institution is a Dell partner, so we would
> probably go with Dell hardware.

Since the machine would be open to more than Plymouth, I would suggest a
robust configuration:

Dual (or dual core) CPUs, as fast as possible
4 or more GB of RAM, preferably 8 GB
0.5 TB or greater hard disk capacity, preferably 1 TB or more
an OS that is compatible with McIDAS ADDE and THREDDS (probably Linux
  or Solaris since we have no experience running a THREDDS server
  under FreeBSD)
Gbps Ethernet Interface

For server machines, we do not recommend running XWindows, so a display
is not an important part of the hardware configuration.

I hope that this gives you some ideas.

Ticket ID: XXX-820212
Department: Support Egrants