20050208: Mac support

>From: Steven Businger <address@hidden>

Hi Steve,

>Does Unidata support Mac computer platforms running OS10?

Yes, but not completely.  For instance, the graphical display of
GEMPAK, NMAP2, does work correctly under MacOS-X, but the command
line GEMPAK commands do not.  The reason for this is that MacOS-X
does not yet support message queues.

>If so, do
>you know anyone in the community who has constructed a Mac-based lab?

I know of folks here and there that are running MacOS-X for particular
applications (e.g., LDM, McIDAS-X, IDV, and NMAP2 portion of GEMPAK).
I am not aware of any site that has moved towards construction of a
MacOS-X lab.

>If not, are there any plans to do so?

This would be a good question to pose to the community at-large.

I would first send a note to the ldm-users and/or pc-os email lists
that we maintain.  Please note, however, that you must be subscribed
to a Unidata-maintained email list before you can post to it.  We
limit posts to subscribed members to keep out spam email.

You can (un)subscribe to any Unidata-maintained email list online
at: